Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

Is it me, or does the world seem to cling tighter and tighter to fanciful holidays? I'm pretty sure that my parents never celebrated this day and they were married for 43 years before my mom died. They loved each other everyday and expressed it regularly. It didn't take a holiday to make them appreciate their life together.

I am also sure that there is nothing you can purchase or do that will make someone love you. It seems that we as a modern society have confused gratitude with love. Sure, I like to get gifts just as much as the next person, but in an era of obesity and food related illnesses, is a holiday that thrives on candy and flowers really appropriate?

Also, with as many people in our world in need of real food, real jobs, and real help, isn't it a bit ridiculous for those of us with much to give to waste it on luxury items? Think about it, how many families could be fed for what we spend on Valentine's day alone? Surely, we should attempt to change the focus of this holiday from romantic love to brotherly love.

I am not however a cynic; I am just giving you a little candy for thought. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment